A professional handheld VHF radio that is compliant to IMO, GMDSS and ETSI standards for carriage on SOLAS vessels and survival craft, while also being designed for everyday use onboard. Rugged and waterproof it is built for use in the most demanding of marine environments with a rotary volume control and large buttons that can be used even when wearing gloves.
A marine VHF transceiver has been considered an essential piece of equipment for many decades, both for safety purposes as well as for general day to day use in communicating with harbour authorities, marinas and other vessels. In recent years VHF technology has been further improved to conform to international safety regulations and both commercial and leisure users have benefited from this.
GMDSS regulations have stipulated that handheld VHF radios are not only rugged and waterproof but that they are also simple to use and easy to operate, which has dramatically improved the design and build quality of handheld VHFs. Even if you are not required by law to carry a handheld VHF you can take confidence that McMurdo handheld VHFs meet the stringent standards required for commercial shipping.
The R5 is the ideal solution to meet the stringent GMDSS safety standards for compliant vessels. More than just an emergency radio, the R5 is packed with features, can be easily used even when wearing gloves and its rugged waterproof design means it’s more than a match for what the sea can throw at it.
Two versions are available depending on your requirements:
- Pack A is supplied with the regulation Lithium emergency battery pack which offers up to five years storage life, plus a rechargeable 1800mAh Li-Ion battery pack for everyday use
- Pack B is the survival craft option, supplied with the Lithium emergency battery only.
- Waterproof to IP67 (submersible to 0.5m for 30 minutes)
- MED (Wheelmark) FCC approved
- Fully GMDSS compliant
- Rugged, drop tested construction with ribbed grip
- Large backlit display with battery indicator
- Rotary volume control
- Quick channel select button
- Keypad lock
- Dual and Tri Watch function
- Battery storage and charger base options